Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I hate Halloween. Mostly because I hate costumes. I never seem to have a good costume idea... and I hate the idea of spending money on an outfit I am going to wear once (I mean, seriously, I don't even have enough outfits to wear to work, not to mention buying one made up of Goodwill castoffs to wear for just one night- sheesh). But now we have Tate. And it was strange, a few weeks ago, when I was walking through Target and had an irresistible pull towards some Halloween decor. I suddenly found myself thinking "Janelle, you are a mom now. And mom's decorate the house for Halloween. It is fun" in a very firm inner voice .
I have not succumbed yet, though, and until Tate is old enough to really understand, I think I will stick with my "embrace-fall-reject-Halloween" philosophy (because I really do love fall. Pumpkins and gourds and caramel apples are a staple in our home).
However. We have just been invited to a Halloween party. And not just any party- a Halloween party hosted by our friend Sara and Adam's seven year old son, Eli!! How cute is this? He is seven! And hosting a party! How could we say no?
Which brings me to my current dilemma. Because, friends, it is a costume party. Under normal circumstances, I would just not dress up. But need I remind you that this party is being hosted by a seven year old? And what kind of person would I be to not dress up at his request? So I am stuck.
I have not yet resolved my personal costume dilemma, so instead have decided to focus on Tate's. Instead of a full-blown costume, I was thinking of going with a hat. It fits my sensibilities and is still festive (right?). I was ecstatic when I found these handmade ones from sweetpeatoadtots. Adorable, right?
Brown bear. Little black lamb (or, if you prefer and have a sense of humor, black sheep...)
Roarrrrr....
I think they are so sweet (and how cute is the baby model?). Sadly for me, they are made to order so if I ordered one now, it wouldn't make it by the party.
Sigh. Back to square one.
Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janelle! Thank you for blogging about my hats! I'm so honored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hats are amazing! But what you call "Halloween," I call "Tuesday" -- I just bought Annie a kitty cat hat yesterday, with no thought of Halloween at all. While not nearly as amazing as the hats you find, Annie's is a mass market version of the same vein of cuteness, found at Baby Gap. THey have all sorts of animals online, so if you want to get Tate a cute hat-costume in a hurry, you could try there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lion hate is perfect for Tate! Ordering deadlines, darn you!!

    ReplyDelete