Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer. Sigh.

It feels like summer just got to Portland, what with our gloomy June and July. Our first tomatoes are just ripening on the vine. For the last few weeks, Zach and I have been enjoying summer as much as we can. The other night we laid outside and watched the meteor shower. Tate was in bed, and it was a warm night, and we laid a blanket in the front yard and just looked at the sky. Predictably I didn't see a single meteor and Zach saw four (somehow I always managed to be looking at the wrong section of sky), but it was still a romantic, lazy summer night. We also have been going out every night to watch the Vaux's Swifts. Gorgeous little birds, they sleep in different chimneys as they migrate, and one of the chimneys on their migratory route is our neighbor's. So every night the three of us go outside around 8:30 and watch them swarm around the chimney and count them as they fly in. And we have also been eating a lot of ice-cream sandwiches. Ruby Jewel, an amazing ice-cream company, just opened their first shop. They have amazing ice-cream sandwiches, like lemon cookies with honey lavender ice cream. Yum. Doesn't that picture look so delicious? At least once a week I think about going. But I try to practice self-restraint. And yet, despite all our summer activities (and the 100 degree temps this weekend), fall boots and wool skirts are already being advertised. It is a little bittersweet. But I am coveting all the fall baby clothes. In particular, aren't these, from Boden, adorable?

2 comments:

  1. These baby clothes make me want to procreate. (I will do it for the cute outfits. I am shallow.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? The little jumper with the heart pockets makes me want to have a little girl right now.

    ReplyDelete