Friday, February 13, 2015

Making a Home: Simple Pleasures

Confession. I drink a lot of coffee. A lot. It is such a satisfying part of my life. And yet, a year or two ago found Zach and I standing around the kitchen, coffee mugs in hand, discussing how much we both hated (hated!) our coffee mugs. I wish I had a picture of them to show you. They had been given to us my grandmother with the best intentions, but they were not only ugly (sorry grandma), but they lacked that most important quality in a mug- holdability. You know what I mean, right? How coffee always tastes so much better when it is in a beautiful cup and the cup is comfortable to hold?

So I had a conversation with myself that went something like this. "Janelle, drinking coffee is a small part of your day, but it is a significant part of your day. Isn't it worth investing in coffee mugs that you love? And that feel good to hold?" And so began the great mug collecting, a venture which continues to this very day.

These are just some of our new, happy-making mugs. Some were given to us as gifts by friends and family with great taste. Some we bought on our own (after testing them out for holdability, of course). And can I tell you? They make such a big difference in my morning. Every single morning.
In the harried morning rush of getting myself and the boys and the lunches and the dog all taken care of, the three minutes when I grab one of my mugs and take a sip of my coffee is so satisfying. Like soul-level satisfying. Because I think about that time Zach and I chose the mug I am drinking from, or how loved we are that Dawn would buy us a mug from all the countries she's visited, or about what incredible taste my sister has... And this small moment in my day takes on such happy significance.

I think that this is a good reminder of how important it is that our everyday functional items are also beautiful and bring us joy and reflect who we are. It's amazing that something so routine can be part of making my day start from a happy and positive perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment